Quantcast

Friday, 20 March 2015

Pet Poison Prevention

You wake up in the morning, take the dog out, feed him, bring him out for his pee, and ready yourself for work. After a long morning you come home at lunch to let your dog outside for a bathroom break, and maybe take him for a walk to stretch his legs. Back to work you go. Just a few hours go by and your finally on your way home for the day, you can't wait to get that furry face greeting at the door . . . except this time, the furry face is not there to greet you. But why? Where is he?


It definitely isn't normal, because there has never once been a day where he isn't jumping up at the door waiting for you to get out of the car. 
You are filled with worry, you throw your jacket off, and begin searching for your beloved dog.

You find him laying in his bed, only to notice that he had found a stash of old Easter chocolate, and ate it.....all. Or maybe it was the prescription of pills your doctor had given you, or possibly the rodenticides that you purchased due to the mouse problem you have.
Needless to say, you are now making an emergency trip to the vet to try and save your dogs life.

You may be asking yourself, where the heck is she going with this post??

March 15th to March 21'st is Poison Prevention week.  
This whole scenario that played out could have been prevented. 
Accidents happen, we are only human, but if we have the power to prevent something potentially fatal from happening, why don't we?

I have 2 daughters, one of which is 4 years old, so naturally my house is toddler proof, which makes it super easy to also be dog proof. Many people think you only have to dog proof a house when you have a young puppy. This is just not true! Dogs will be dogs, and if something has a certain smell to it, they will eat it! It is simply their nature.

How can you prevent this?
  • Keep any household cleaners you have in a high locked cupboard
  • Research household plants before you buy them
  • Any medication you have should always be kept high up, in a locked cupboard
  • Keep pesticides and rodenticides out of reach, and locked away
  • Your dog should never be able to reach any chocolate or other potentially harmful people foods
  • Think of your dog as you would a toddler - proof your house!
You love your pets, I know you do. If you didn't, I highly doubt you would be reading my blog. So think of your pets as they are - children. No matter the age, safety first.


 This post was brought to you by the Pet Parade Blog Hop, and Flashback Friday.
Today, I am parading pet safety, and poison prevention, and I thought this graphic (shown above) which I made quite some time ago, fit in nicely with the post, and works well for my Flashback Friday too!

The Pet Parade Blog Hop is hosted by Rascal and Rocco.
Co hosted by Jan's Funny Farm, Bionic Basil, Barking from the Bayou and me,
from Love is being owned by a husky

Flashback Friday blog hop is hosted by Five Sibes Mom 
Co hosted by me from Love is being owned by a husky!

Link up to the pet parade with us here :

Social Media Pet Parade links here :

Flashback Friday link up here :  

35 comments:

  1. Yes safety first and stay healthy and happy. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes keep everything away from paws and mouths :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Hope all is well with you and your family! I have missed reading everyone's blogs and keeping up with them:( I'm on Spring Break this week and am trying to catch up with everything..but there is so much to do! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wondering if everything is ok with you guys! Nice to see you back around!

      Delete
  4. Great tips! It can be really easy to forget how easy it is for pets to get into poison.There are tons of toxins in most households! "Toddler proofing" is a great idea.
    - Purrs from you friends at www.PlayfulKitty.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, and as I said we are only human, but if we think of our pets like we do our toddlers with baby proofing the house, all we have to do is dog proof and little situations like this can definitely be prevented :)

      Delete
  5. Yep, that would cause panic. Mom had panic the day I ate the entire bowl of jelly beans but they weren't really harmful. One really has to watch and make sure as much danger as possible is eliminated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jelly beans? You crazy pup!!!! I'm glad it was jelly beans and not chocolate!

      Delete
  6. Great post, it's always good to do a walk around to see what your pet possibly could get into.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post, prevention is definitely key in keeping our best friends safe & healthy :-) Wonderful graphic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to be super careful with Theo, he'll eat any kind of food he can get. I love gum, but I think I have bought my last pack. The kind I like has xylitol in it and that is so incredibly poisonous to dogs. I'm constantly checking to make sure he hasn't gotten into my purse. I know I'll never forgive myself if he gets into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it's so hard, and we have to know what is toxic to them and what is not.

      Delete
  9. I've had to stop having any flowers in the house AT ALL. Only silk plants that get gnawed on! MOL But every once in awhile, maybe 4 or 5 times since I've had cats I've gotten roses or a flower arrangement, Do you know where I put it? INside the shower which has glass doors on it. I've had kitties try to get in the shower to check out the flowers but they aren't able to. So I do fully understand what you mean about keeping them safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! me too!!! I LOVE house plants and flowers, but with cats, there is just no way! They love to eat them!!! I don't have one single plant in the house now!

      Delete
  10. We chopped down one of my flowering trees, because it was poisonous. We also baby-proof our cabinets just in case. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. My house is SO completely toddler and dog proof it;s crazy!

      Delete
  11. Good advice, especially near Easter.

    Woofs from Earl, Ethel and I at Earl's World!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep...we had bites get in the race car shop and found some mouse poison.....here we have a 24 hour pet hot line.....they told us to give him a half a teaspoon of salt......boy did that work...every thing he ate for the last few hours came up, on the kitchen floor....then the peeps took a knife and looked through it for the pellets...work get...........Thanks to bites .we ain't allowed in therace car shop unless it has been checked!

    The Mad Scots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salt? I did not know that! Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  13. One good thing about having a dog that gets into everything, is that you learn to keep everything out of their reach. Our golden Moses was that dog, and we are so diligent now (almost obsessive really) about keeping anything hazardous out of the dogs' reach. I sometimes drive my hubby nuts because I won't allow any kind of poisons in the house, even when we've had mouse problems.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know all too well what you mean! hahaha! 3 huskies = complete disaster if I kept those things in reach!!!

      Delete
  14. Great post! Great Reminder!
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  15. A good reminder to look around and make sure all is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! We have to be careful with all the poisons out there. I love that poem, I just posted it on Noodle for Presidents blog as they lost their mya. :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent reminder that even mature dogs can suddenly get into something dangerous in the house or around the yard & garage! I really love that poem you included, it's so sweet & rings so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cathy. Yes, any age dog can get into something, and it's important for us to realize that.

      Delete

♥Thoughts for the pack? Leave us a comment♥

SomaPet

SomaPet- For the life of your pet