October is National Animal Safety And Prevention month.
Created by the PALS foundation, NASAPM (National Animal Safety And Prevention month) is there to help remind us of the important role animals play in our lives, and in this world. Not just our pets, but wild animals as well. And while we are thinking about the role each animal has, we need to remember how important it is to do our part and keep animals safe. You can start with your own pets.
5 Ways To Keep Your Pet Safe:
- Always make sure your pets are micro-chipped, and have their tags.
- If you like having plants and/or flowers around the house, do some research and make sure they are not toxic to your pets.
- Keep any medicines you have up high, in a locked cabinet.
- House cleaners... UGH! Keep those in a locked cabinet, or even better? Purchase all natural cleaner, AND keep it in a locked cabinet, taboot!
- Feed quality foods to your pet. Not only will a good quality food help your dog (and budget) with less vet visits, but hey, they are family! Only the best!
5 Ways To Keep Our Wildlife Safe:
- Research the plants you have in your gardens. Make sure you do not have toxic plants which animals might chew on, or rub up against.
- Do not litter. I think we hear that a lot right? Not only does littering harm our planet and ourselves, but it harms our wildlife as well.
- Do not disturb nests and/or baby animals. The only reason we should ever intervene when coming across wild animal babies, is if we think they are in a dangerous spot, or seem to be injured. And in that case, do not handle them yourself! Call a professional.
- Do not catch, or remove a wild animal from his home.
- Here's a big one - thousands of birds die each year from flying into our windows. By placing objects in the windowsill, or putting a decal on your vehicle window, you can help reduce those numbers. Birds are less likely to fly towards a window if they see an object in it.
How about you? What would you add to the list in order to keep animals safe?
|The Pet Parade Blog Hop|
Hosted by Rascal and Rocco
Co hosted by Bionic Basil, Barking From The Bayou and me, from Love Is Being Owned By A Husky
|Flashback Friday Blog Hop|
Hosted by Five Sibes Mom
Co hosted by me, from Love Is Being Owned By A Husky
This weeks Flashback is a photo of one of my local stray kitties that frequents my yard. This particular image was taken last Autumn. He has been around since we moved here, but would not come anywhere close for the longest time. I saw how skinny he was a few years back, and did everything in my power to get him closer so I could feed him. Once he came over, and ate some food, I worked my way into his heart. He visits us all of the time, we built him a shelter for the winter time so he can stay warm, and he has fresh food and water every day. Just another way to help animals.
Pet Parade links:
Pet Parade Social Media Links:
Flashback Friday Links: